Responsive. Reliable. Results.

Attorney Carrie Wilcox

Can your child’s ex keep you from seeing your grandkids?

On Behalf of | Oct 11, 2021 | Grandparents' Rights

When your child first got married or shared the news that their girlfriend was pregnant, you were probably ecstatic. It can be very easy to add your child’s romantic partner to your family because they share your love of someone who is incredibly important to you. 

Unfortunately, your relationship with your grandchildren’s other parent could sour in an instant when your child’s relationship with them ends. Through no fault of your own, you can find yourself persona non grata at your former in-law’s home. That could be a very unfortunate situation, especially if your child doesn’t ask for parenting time or doesn’t qualify for it. 

Do you have to face a future where you cannot spend time with your grandchildren because your child’s ex doesn’t like you?

Your existing relationship with your grandchildren matters

There is a saying that it takes a village to raise a child, which essentially means that parents cannot do everything to raise a child without help. They need support from their community and their family. You may have been a babysitter for your grandkids or even allowed them to live with you. 

The more of a role you have played in caring and providing for your grandchild, the easier it will be for you to request grandparent visitation. Arizona already recognizes that third parties like grandparents can play a very important role in the lives of children. The closer your relationship with the children has been, the more important it will be for them that you continue to play a role in their lives.

Showing proof that you have spent much time with your grandchildren and have provided social and emotional support for them can help you convince the courts to give you visitation even if your own child has not asserted their parental rights. Learning about your rights as a grandparent can help you continue to play an important role in the lives of your grandkids.